Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My most basic fresh juice recipe

I make and drink fresh juice every day. As mentioned in a previous post, I sometimes drink just juice (or mostly juice) for weeks at a time. Seems weird? Don't worry, I DO do that whole "see a doctor and ask questions before trying something that sounds crazy" thing. Not only is freshly juiced juice (ha) packed with nutrients, but (for me at least) it can be used to relieve sometimes debilitating symptoms, sans medicine. I have multiple sclerosis and consuming fresh juice everyday, more so while just drinking juice everyday, can drastically reduce the severity of symptoms that I experience. For me it can even keep many of my symptoms at bay. For example, I have been drinking just juice (with the exception of some vegetable based soups and protein smoothies) for the past week and a half and besides mild fatigue, a typical MS symptom which I just seem to be constantly dealing with, I haven't been experiencing ANY physical difficulties or symptoms (such as tingling, cramping, joint pain etc.).
SO, this is one of the most basic, delicious, go-to juices I make. It's sort of my lazy juice recipe. I usually like to include some sort of leafy green and about 1/2  fruits and 1/2 vegetables in my juice, but this particular recipe does contain more fruit and is just meant to be super easy. I'll post more palate intriguing and complex recipes later.


Apple, carrot & strawberry juice recipe:


Ingredients:
(Relatively self explanatory, but play around with the amount of each veggie and fruit while trying to stay close to the 1/2 & 1/2 ratio of fruits to vegetables-- this is a general rule I use for all juices)


2 large apples
3-7 strawberries
2 large carrots


Directions:
Acquire a juicer. This step may be harder than it seems. I took weeks researching, reviewing, and saving to buy my juicer. Get informed and know what kind of juice you want to make and how much $$ you want to spend. I purchased a Breville Juice Fountain Plus (http://www.brevilleusa.com/juice-fountain-plus-je98xl.html) for $150. That wasn't pocket change for me, but I knew I wanted to buy a "top of the line" juicer which was easy to use, even easier to clean and produced the most juice the most efficiently. This just happened to be the juicer for me, but there are both cheaper/ more expensive products on the market. While you're at it, watch Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead (http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/). Just sayin', great documentary. See? not such a simple step after all. 


NEXT... Juice all fruits and veggies. 


Done. Drink.


If you make a lot, like I did, and have leftovers, store it in an air tight container and out it in fridge.


Picture process:





Leftovers can be used for compost or as a nice air freshener for your garbage:





Mmmm. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I love your recipe. I have been drinking fruit juices too especially my favorite carrot juice. since I was in high school. I was a vegetarian then. I find it interesting when you combine it with strawberries and apples. I'm kinda excited to try this at home. I've also been reading juice recipes. Great blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! and i have also gotten some great recipes from that website :)

      Delete