Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Love

I just love, love, LOVE to read. Being a stay at home mom permits such indulgences. And indulge I do. Sometimes being a stay at home mom simply involves the act of sitting and managing chaos. You can't really get anything done during this time, but the kids don't necessarily need your undying attention. Although, if you leave the room, of course chaos ensues. Example: I went upstairs for approximately 3 minutes the other day and I came downstairs to find that the house had been "blues cluesed" by two three year olds. Here's a few examples:



As usual, I digress. So, reading.

Here's what I'm currently reading:
Kitty Norville series, Kitty Takes a Holiday by Carrie Vaughn

About (the series):
Kitty' Norville, a late-night radio DJ, accidentally starts a late-night talk show about Werewolves, Vampires, and other mythical creatures. The catch is - she's a werewolf herself, and the secret is supposed to stay silent.
My Review:
This is book 3 of the series. I really loved the first book of this particular series. Nice plot setup, good back story, interesting relationship dynamics, but then some important characters are killed off and some of the initial intrigue is lost in the second book. I normally gravitate toward urban fantasies and generally like ones with just a tad less sexy scenes. However, the err, romance, in this book seems forced, at least in the past book (Kitty Goes to Washington).I think I'm going to stick it out for this book and if I'm still feeling lack luster, I may just move on to another series.


What I just finished reading:
Queene of Light by Jennifer Armintrout

About:
An unimagined destiny an undeniable passion. In a time not long from now, the veil between fantasy and reality is ripped asunder creatures of myth and fairytale spill into the mortal world. Enchanted yet horrified, humans force the magical beings Underground, to colonize the sewers and abandoned subway tunnels beneath their glittering cities. But even magic folk cannot dwell in harmony and soon two Worlds emerge: the Lightworld, home to faeries, dragons and dwarves; and the Darkworld, where vampires, werewolves, angels and demons lurk.
Now, in the dank and shadowy place between Lightworld and Darkworld, a transformation is about to begin....
Ayla, a half-faery, half-human assassin is stalked by Malachi, a Death Angel tasked with harvesting mortal souls. They clash. Immortality evaporates, forging a bond neither may survive. And in the face of unbridled ambitions and untested loyalties, an ominous prophecy is revealed that will shake the Worlds.

My Review:
Loved this book! Lately, to save some moolah, I have been downloading my books from my local library (technology is so cool!), but they only had book 1 of this series. So, if I want to continue this specific reading adventure, I'm gonna have to pony up some dollars, which I very well may do.
This book concerns the world of Faerie, but gives an unusually twisted take on the normally majestic and alternate dimension world of Faerie. Here Faerie is a sad, dark place located below ground where Faeries and other supernatural beings have been exiled to by the Human race.
In addition to urban fantasies/ supernatural/ Faerie inspired books, I just love me a good heroin or female lead.
In this book, Ayla is an excellent lead female character, with just enough passion yet uncertainty about the ever changing world around her. The love story in the book is just detailed enough to draw in the reader, but not too much that you have to blush whilst reading in public.


Just finished series:
Fever Series by Karen Marie Moning, Shadowfever was the last book


About:
MacKayla Lane was just a child when she and her sister, Alina were given up for adoption and banished from Ireland forever.
Twenty years later, Alina is dead and Mac has returned to the country that expelled them to hunt her sister's murderer. But after discovering that she descends from a bloodline both gifted and cursed, Mac is plunged into a secret history: an ancient conflict between humans and immortals that have lived concealed among us for thousands of years.
My Review:
Such an excellent series. I love when the Fae world is brought to life in literature. The possibilities for story-lines and creative possibilities just seem endless. In fact, It just may be one of my new favorites! I normally hate re-reading series (unless it's ten or so years apart), but I basically sped-read through this series because the plot was just too addicting. A good re-read may be in the near future.


Werewolves, Faeries and Fae, Oh, my!

No comments:

Post a Comment