Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Nerd Alert

I've had some time these past few weeks to do a bit of reading and finished 3 new books: 2, in 2 new series and 1 in a series I've been reading for a while.

** note: MOST urban and/or fantasy books, especially those with female leads, have corny covers. And I mean C-o-r-n-y, corny. I don't mind them too much, but they are a bit embarrassing, right? Try to look past those as I have :)


Book numero uno: New series, new book

Vampire Academy By: Richelle Mead
About:
St. Vladimir’s Academy isn’t just any boarding school—it’s a hidden place where vampires are educated in the ways of magic and half-human teens train to protect them. Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, a bodyguard for her best friend Lissa, a Moroi Vampire Princess. They’ve been on the run, but now they’re being dragged back to St. Vladimir’s—the very place where they’re most in danger...
My review:
Nooooot such a great read. First off, I didn't realize that it was a young-adult novel until about, oh, a chapter in. The content and writing style were anything but mature and the depth of character and story development were basically terrible. The actual story setup/background and plot were great. I've never read another story with this same plot and I just loved the concept. The actual execution of said concept, however, was just a plain ole flop. It was too immature for my taste and I won't continue the series. 


Book 2: Also new series, new book

Halfway to the Grave By:Jeaniene Frost
About (series):
The NIGHT HUNTRESS series is an urban fantasy romance featuring half-vampire heroine Cat Crawfield and Master vampire hero, Bones. My heroine and hero have a difficult road ahead of them and they will have to work very hard to earn their HEA (happily-ever-after), so their story isn’t over with the first book. Hope you come along for the ride!
My review:
Love this urban fantasy book/series! It's intelligent, witty, has a tough female lead and just the right amount of sexy time ;)This author knows what she's doing-- there is a great and unusual story line accompanied with well developed characters and just a bit of romance. It totally sucked me in and I will continue reading the second book in the series.

Boor three: Book 5 in the Kate Daniels series
Magic Slays By Ilona Andrews
About: 
It’s a volatile, screwed-up world. Magic feeds on technology, gnawing down on skyscrappers until most of them topple and fall, leaving only skeletal husks behind. Monsters prowl the ruined streets, werebears and werehyenas stalk their prey; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds.
The world has suffered a magic apocalypse. We pushed the technological progress too far, and now magic returned with a vengeance. It comes in waves, without warning, and vanishes as suddenly as it appears. When magic is up, planes drop out of the sky, cars stall, electricity dies. When magic is down, guns work and spells fail.
In this world lives Kate Daniels. Kate likes her sword a little too much and has a hard time controlling her mouth. The magic in her blood makes her a target, and she spent most of her life hiding in plain sight.  But sometimes even trained killers make friends and fall in love, and when the universe tries to kick them in the face, they kick back.
My Review:
Fantastic series! Each book gets just that much more addicting and this book was no exception. Great story and overall concept. Interesting character and plot developments. Fun & creative writing, as well as intelligent humor, put this book very high on the series I love scale. Read. This. Series. Someday I'm really going to have to make that actual scale....


3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of these, honestly, but I wholeheartedly support nerdiness. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog dear.
    Check out the giveaway on my blog!

    xo.
    http://fromhatstoheels.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete